Monday 30 November 2009

Manifesto project part 1

You will create TWO pieces of typography. One will be your interpretation of a manifesto issued between 1880 and 1930. The second requires you to produce your own manifesto. This should reflect the technological and cultural changes that beckon in the 21stcentury.

Both typographic manifestos should reflect the content. Each should be between 300-400 words in length and as such may require editing. The brief follows a term long lecture series on 'Modernity' with Francis Cartledge. The time period stated above contains many different art movements and subsequent manifestos, and of all of these, I like Futurism the most due its radical typography. I started looking into Futurist pieces including a few by Marinetti and stumbled across the first picture shown below.

I love the composition and I figured what better way of reformatting the futurism manifesto than to recreate Marinetti's "Les Motts". Below, the second picture, is the finished result after assembling the manifesto in InDesign and a lot of trial and error.

After some consideration I went to transform the central text section to say 'Manifesto di futurismo' (Futurist Manifesto) so it could be understood more easily. In terms of reflection, I like the chaotic look and the accurate reconstruction of the composition, but I think it's a little confusing to understand what's going on if you hadn't seen the brief. I never want to use InDesign again. I've written the text for Part 2 of the brief under the title 'China in the 21st century' but I realise I might have taken it slightly too seriously. The trouble is the brief is a bit open ended. Still, my thought was that it gives me the opportunity to try out some great chinese typography! We'll see.